Add to Technorati Favorites

Monday, March 2, 2009

ESPN: Pens Not Interested In Guerin

BallHype: hype it up!

OK, now I don't tend to believe a lot of what ESPN has to say in regards to their utter lack of hockey coverage, but I saw this same rumor on Spector's site earlier today.

According to this article, the Pens are not interested in Bill Guerin and it in fact looks as if Washington is the mystery team in this saga.

I would be very happy to not have Guerin on the team as a rental. Getting Guerin could mean almost certainly that another deal would have to be in place involving someone like Jordan Staal or Miroslav Satan.

I'd be perfectly happy letting Satan go his merry way, but the thought of trading Staal still doesn't sit well with me. As I've said before, I have already come to terms with the fact that Staal will be the first to go out of Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Marc-Andre Fleury.

I only question what we would get back should this actually happen.

There have been some rumors speculating that the Pens would ship Staal and the recently acquired Eric Tangradi to Toronto for Tomas Kaberle and Matt Stajan and maybe a pick is thrown in somewhere too.

I don't like this at all. As much as I like Kaberle, his coming to Pittsburgh would force Kris Letang out of the lineup for sure and still leave Alex Goligoski waiting in the wings some more.

Maybe some things will change in the coming hours, but the Pens need help up front on offense more than they do on defense. The help they need on defense can come from being more responsible in their own end and not blowing coverage leading to easy goals. I have faith that Dan Bylsma's system isn't operating at full capacity yet ad that he is actively working on the very thing i just stated.

Time will tell.

No comments: