Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Eklund Owes Me New Pants

This will be short and sweet, but I felt compelled to comment on Eklund's latest "trade rumor" about the Penguins.

We've already discussed how it would make no sense for the Pens to trade Jordan Staal and others to Atlanta for Ilya Kovalchuk from a financial standpoint. I think Eklund read that post and realized how utterly wrong that sounded and then decided to tweak it today.

According to his latest post, the Penguins are talking about trading Evgeni Malkin to the Thrashers for Kovalchuk and something else.

You read that correctly. Malkin for Kovalchuk and a doggy bag of players or picks.

Umm....

Do I really need to go into why this will not happen and why this would be the worst move the Penguins have made in recent history?

It's pretty self -explanatory I would think. I literally laughed so hard when I saw this that tears were coming down my face.

The only logical big name players that could/will be moved at the deadline are Staal and Ryan Whitney. I'm not counting Miroslav Satan and Ruslan Fedotenko as big names, but they could also be on their way out.

If I'm Ray Shero, I blow up the roster and start over. Get rid of everyone except for Sidney Crosby, Malkin, Marc-Andre Fleury, Brooks Orpik and Max Talbot.

Everyone else can go and I wouldn't be upset over it for very long. I'll pull together a wish list of players I'd like, but if you saw yesterday's post, you'll see that Milan Hejduk is at the top of the list.

Stay tuned for more.

No comments: